Redditch Middle and High School Transition Arrangements
You will be aware that on Monday the Prime Minister announced that the planned lifting of lockdown restrictions from 21st June was delayed until 19th July and this means our planned arrangements for transition have to change. The Department for Education confirmed on Tuesday that traditional transition activities are ‘unlikely to be feasible’.
Heads of all middle and high schools have met and agreed an approach that supports children and young people in Redditch in having the most supportive transition possible within the current restrictions, as well as continuing to do all we can to minimise transmission rates across the town. We are all keen to keep our communities as safe as possible as we approach the end of term and we hopefully see restrictions ease on 19th July.
The arrangements apply to pupils who will be starting Year 5, Year 9 and Year 12 this September.
Our agreed transition arrangements are:
- Transition activities between now and the end of term will be virtual, as they were last summer.
- All pupils will attend their usual school on Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th
- The exception will be for those transition visits already planned for pupils who require additional support in making the transition. These visits are able to be in-person as the small numbers involved mean there is little risk to existing school bubbles as there will be no cross-school transmission.
- On the first day of the Autumn term, Monday 6th September, only Year 5, 7 and Year 9 will be in school. This will mean they can have that time to become familiar with their new school, school staff and each other.
- For pupils in other year groups, schools will set appropriate learning activities for Monday 6th This work will support their return to school on Tuesday 7th September.
- All schools will continue to do all we can to support our pupils in feeling prepared for the next stage of their education.
- Please note that plans for any Summer Schools taking place are not affected by these arrangements.
We have been in discussion with local First Schools who are also planning their transition arrangements for Reception pupils and will be contacting parents to confirm the details.
We thank you for your ongoing support as we all continue to face the challenges of the pandemic.
Ridgeway Secondary School