Despite the continuing lockdown and education being provided remotely, here at Ridgeway we would still very much like all students where possible to celebrate and enjoy World Book Day. On Thursday 4th March, students in years 5 to 9 will have themed English lessons to mark the day, and we ask that where they can that they choose one or more enrichment activities from the list below to further participate in to celebrate the day.
Word Book Day enrichment activities:
- Dress up as a character from their favourite book and take a photograph of themselves.
- Extreme reading challenge. Take a photograph of themselves reading a book in a weird, wonderful, exciting, fun but SAFE place.
- Create a reading den and take a photograph of themselves reading in their den.
- Write a book review or record a video of themselves recommending their favourite book.Create and design a book cover for their favourite book.
- Create a film trailer for a book they would like to see turned into a film.
To accompany the lessons and enrichment activities, we will also be launching a 500-word short story competition the week of World Book Day. A winner will be selected from each year group with a book voucher being awarded as a prize and their stories published as part of the school newsletter. More information and details regarding this competition will be released after half term.
As always, reading is a key priority at Ridgeway and we hope very much that all students take part in the lessons, enrichment activities and competition, and take much enjoyment from the day, and appreciate how fun and valuable reading is to both learning and life. Whilst we all continue to manage the demands of online learning, we also hope that all our students continue to read for pleasure at home. If they should require any extra support with this please do not hesitate to contact either your child’s English teacher or Miss Powell, the Head of English.
We look forward to seeing all the brilliant results from the enrichment activities, competition and lessons.
Miss J Powell
Head of English